The work experience agreement form

Work Experience Agreement Form

Work Experience Placement Guidelines

The work experience agreement form

A ‘Work Experience Agreement Form’ should be completed by any student hoping to undertake a short-term or medium-term placement, and agreed (signed-off) by the tutor, 3 weeks prior to the commencement of any work experience and returned to the Student Office.

This is not applicable to long-term Sandwich Placements. Students wishing to undertake a Sandwich placement should follow the process outlined here.

Health and safety

As part of the work experience agreement, staff and students should discuss issues of health and safety and identify the level of risk of any work to be undertaken. If the risk is high students should not do the activity. Look at obvious hazards that could reasonably expect to result in significant harm to the student in the working environment – e.g. fire, chemicals, dust, fumes, machinery. Students should take all necessary precautions to safeguard against the risks by reducing the risk, only working within their current skill and experience levels, and seek additional training in the School or organisation.

If a student or tutor is concerned in any way, they should seek further advice.

The School Work Experience Agreement Form includes a section on Risk Assessment, however if there is need for a more detailed risk assessment, a project risk assessment form is available from the School of Creative Arts, Departmental Website (StudyNet).

CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) checks – if applicable

When you apply for certain types of job you may be asked to apply for a criminal record check. These are generally jobs that mean you:

  • will be working regularly with children or vulnerable people
  • will be working in an establishment that is wholly or mainly for children
  • will be working in healthcare
  • will be working in certain other professions (details of all these professions are provided at

If you do need a criminal record check, your prospective employer will let you know and tell you what to do next.


The information provided below is as accurate as it can be at the time of writing, however we anticipate an update to this section by September 2011.

The organisation’s insurance cover in relation to Employers Liability and Public Liability should be confirmed prior to the start of any work experience using the Work Experience Agreement Form.

The ‘Work Experience Placements Guidelines’ document is available from the School of Creative Arts, Departmental Website – (StudyNet) and downloadable from here.

In addition to the above, generic UH insurance paperwork must be completed in ALL cases. Form A must be completed by the host company confirming that they have: a Health and Safety policy; undertaken a Risk Assessment; have Employers and Public Liability insurances which cover the student; have informed their insurers of the students presence; training and protective clothing will be provided where necessary; contact UH in the event of any injury etc.

(Form A is available from the School of Creative Arts, Departmental Website – StudyNet).

Students may wish to take out their own personal effects insurance, which should protect them from loss of property, but the University does provide travel insurance cover at no charge to the student.

Details can be obtained from your tutor or via the School of Creative Arts, Departmental Website (StudyNet).

Claim forms can be obtained from the University Insurance Office:

01727 285188 ( Completed forms should be processed via the University Insurance Office.

Equal opportunities and other legislation

Students have the right to be protected by current legislation, which includes current employment and equality legislation.

Total 1 Votes

How can we improve this article? If you would like a reply, please provide your email address.

+ = Verify Human or Spambot ?