This free service is based in the Todd building in room AB133 every Monday and Tuesday.
To book an appointment, please click here to visit our booking page. You can always contact Vicky at firstname.lastname@example.org or @UHwritingSCA on Twitter. Vicky will try to ensure that a response to email is sent no later than 2 working days from receipt of your message.
Please ensure that you do not put off contacting Vicky until the last minute before your deadline, as this may not allow for enough time to adequately support you. The service gets very busy at these periods so it is best to book in advance.
Each individually scheduled session is 30 minutes in duration. You may book up to 1 hour at a time and that one-to-one time will be used to go over your work and discuss topics such as:
- Critical analysis and evaluation: How to demonstrate critical thinking within your writing.
- Paragraph or sentence structure: Use of English, PEEEL/ PQC methods of structuring your content clearly and concisely.
- Paraphrasing: How to ensure that what you are writing makes sense and retains the context of your source without fear of plagiarism.
- Planning the assignment: Understanding the assignment brief; how to write a research question; how to plan your time effectively with regards to research and writing; how to construct an outline.
- Referencing: How to cite your resources correctly within the text and how to format and document your resources using the correct Harvard style of referencing.
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation: Use of English, effective use of word processing tools.
- Structuring the assignment: How to ensure your ideas/ arguments flow logically, how to stay within your word count.
- Understanding and addressing feedback: Looking at past feedback from your tutors and ensuring this is applied to your current work
- Use of research facilities: How to use the Library search and your research toolkits effectively
- Writing style (3rd person, reflective): Use of English, understanding the requirements of voice and tone in academic writing.
Please ensure that you bring a digital copy of your work to your session.
Please note: If the assignment brief (including grading criteria) or module guide are not available on your StudyNet module site please inform your programme leader and bring a copy with you to our meeting.
Group workshops will also be available upon request.
Various support options are available should you be unable to book a 1-2-1 appointment during Vicky’s stated office hours:
- For appointments that fall outside of those hours, email Vicky at email@example.com indicating when you would be available
- Use of Skype/ Google hangouts or similar can also be arranged for real time online meetings where physical attendance is problematical. These can be arranged outside of Vicky’s scheduled hours on an ad-hoc basis depending on my schedule that week
- If face to face or real time online support is not possible due to scheduling issues, Vicky can still support you over email. Send your work as an MS Word document and in addition to commenting directly on your document Vicky can respond with tips, techniques and links to various online resources which may help you to make the necessary improvements.
- The LRC also run daily Academic Writing Support drop-ins, Mon-Fri 10am-2pm in the College Lane and de Havilland LRCs.